Saturday, January 17, 2015

Two Weeks of Solid Training

Two weeks of solid training and feeling pretty good about getting to the Amherst 10 miler with good aerobic fitness. The plan is to run/train through Amherst and New Bedford on the way to the Vermont City Marathon.

Every year Amanda tweaks my training to promote some improvement. The main focus last year was to improve stride turnover and stride length. After studying and sifting all the knowledge on stride I discussed the use and addition of squats to my training. We agreed (by this I mean she let me) to change up to my strength routine.

(Note: Only perform weight training under the supervision of a trained and trusted coach! Smart runners do a lot of not so smart training. Don't be not so smart. You are responsible for your own health. )

I am really pumped this change! The workout consists of using weight "close" to my 1 repetition maximum. I determined "close" by using enough weight to make 4 repetitions challenging when performing the movement to a 90 degree knee bend. This, for me, is about 1 repetition butt to the floor repetition.

The goal:
1. Promote ballistic strength for increased stride power.

The workout:
After a thorough warmup and focus on strict barbell squat form, I perform 4 sets of behind the head barbell squats, 2 repetitions in each set, with 3 minutes rest between sets.

The why:
1. Weight close to 1 repetition maximum promotes maximum muscle fiber recruitment.
2. Low repetitions at close to 1 repetition maximum weight promotes strength without adding muscle mass.

Is it working for me? Running is a patience sport and improvements in performance are realized over time, especially as I get older. That being said, after several weeks, I do believe I am some experiencing strength gains. We'll see!



No comments:

Post a Comment