Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Eating Donuts and Reading Twain….

During my run last Sunday I was thinking about, well, my run. And listening to John Hiatt’s Adios California. I had on my schedule extensive endurance. This is a medium long run averaging 85%-89% of my LTHR. (and no, I don’t want to get into a crazy discussion on theories concerning lactate threshold, I just want to use the best tools that create improvement for me) The goal of this workout was to increase aerobic capacity. A straightforward constant sustained effort over time. Simple. The course I selected was an out and back from the Blackstone High School through the back roads of Mendon. I understood what this represented in min/mi pace on level ground and on the treadmill. The wrinkle was that this route included a northward ~300 foot climb to Daniels Farmstead, the long side, and a drop toward Mendon which is the steep side.

I also realized that:

1. Getting to the base of the hill I would be warming up and running at less the 85% of LTHR.
2. Climbing, I would exceed 89% LTHR while running at less than level ground min/mi pace.
3. Descending, I would exceed level ground pace at or below 89% LTHR.
4. The balance of the course is pretty much rolling countryside.

Taking an easy jog to the BMRHS Track, aka The Kevin Maloney Track, I warmed up and threw in a few easy strides. The run was just as I had planned, wicked average! My LTHR was at 89%. My heart rate was at the high end but within my goal effort. My average min/mi pace was quicker than same time last year. The pace swings were about 35 seconds on either side of my average min/mi pace. The uphill increase in HR, with slower pacing gave me a bit of non-specific intensive endurance work.

The run was solid, showing improved aerobic fitness. The aerobic runs are becoming challenging as my fitness improves, that is, though the cardiovascular effort remains at %85-89% LTHR the pace is quicker, forcing neural, muscle, and ligament adaptation. And…as important, I am continuing to learn how to hold the sustained effort deeper into the run, as fatigue begins to set.

No comments:

Post a Comment