Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Season's 20K Prep, Oatmeal Cookies, and Butter

When I finished writing last night, I realized that perhaps this must be written on my woodworking blog( which I often neglect); however, since I began this as a follow-up to my Seasons 20k Prep blog, it shall remain. So I am guest blogging myself...I think.

So I was on my run yesterday, the last hard effort before the Season's 20k. I decided to run an out and back with the turnaround being Daniel's Farmstead in Blackstone. On an aside, the Farmstead is a transition point during the Greenway Challenge held this year on September 26th. The views are great from atop this hill and the farm, http://www.danielsfarmstead.org/history.htm dating from before the American Revolution, is a pleasant place to visit.

My scheduled run was 45 minutes at marathon pace and 20 minutes at half marathon pace. I was a bit slow getting out, taking 25:30 to get to the farm on a 23 minute goal. I headed back down the hill passing Spring Hill Farm, a little place with a few cows. I slowed to take a look as I have this obsession with butter and cheese making. I have been working on an Oatmeal Protein Cookie Recipe that requires some butter. I make my butter from heavy cream purchased from a local dairy and it does improve the quality/texture of the cookie. Running along I wondered if hand churning the cream into butter with a dasher, a la back in the day, created a different taste/texture than using the electric mixer as I do. There was only one way to find out.

At 45 minutes I picked up the pace and reaching the BMR high School, forgetting that the new school year was starting, ran through a crowded parking lot. Not wanting to run any more hills, I finished the last 10 minutes on the track. I took a slow walk home, creating a plan for an old school butter churn.

I have a lot of work to do in my shop and did not want to derange my schedule. The churn work did not start until later in the evening. I scoured around for a suitable container and some oak scrap. I found this old 1 liter jar that would hold enough cream to make about 1/2 pound of butter.



 The jar had a lip that would be perfect for minimizing splash. I marked the lid stock, attached it to a faceplate and turned a groove to fit the lip.


The jar lip fit well into the groove and I marked the outside diameter of the lid for turning.



A little roughing gouge work and a few minutes later the shaping was complete.



It took but a few seconds to secure the stock and bore the hole for the dasher handle.



I selected a spokeshave, jumped on my shaving horse and started rounding the dasher handle. Though I was trying to work quickly using power tools, I had to perform at least one task ol' school. Besides, the handle feel is much nicer than that of lathe turned.


I ran out of time and will try to complete the dasher tonight. 













No comments:

Post a Comment