Friday, September 4, 2015

Running in the Blackstone Valley Corridor


I was busy this morning when, as sometimes happens, I found that despite my best efforts, I was not accomplishing much. I decided that perhaps it would be best if I went for a run. A change of scenery was in order, as well. I changed into running gear, grabbed some water, and hopped into my automobile for a scenic drive to West Hill Park in Uxbridge, MA


On the way out I detoured through Main Street to see the progress toward completion of the Blackstone Valley Greenway Multi-Use Trail. 
Approximately 3 miles of the trail runs from the Rhode Island border, through Blackstone to Millville along the Blackstone River. It is also a section of the 2900 mile long East Coast Coast Greenway. 



It appeared as though some work still needs to be completed.


While I was in the neighborhood, the High Rocks section of Blackstone was right around the corner. I took the short drive over to view the Blackstone river flowing over the Rolling Dam. The boat launch has served as a paddle/bike/run transition during the Blackstone Valley Greenway Challenge. 


The water level is very low and the Rolling Dam, also call the Roaring Dam, was not roaring very loud. The dam was built in 1886, replacing a log dam that was constructed around 1810. I've taken my canoe out on this water many times, paddling up river to Millville. 


I enjoyed the sounds for a few more minutes and headed north toward Uxbridge. Daniels Farmstead, in Blackstone, was a hive of activity. I pulled into the parking lot and saw signs indicating that an art show was in progress. I was in a bit of a hurry now, so I captured a quick shot of the farm and buildings and kept driving.


Finally arriving at the West Hill Dam Parking area I walked over and took this image overlooking the south side of the dam.


Then, I started my run on the ranger road.

This is a view of the north side of the dam from the ranger road. The water level, as with the Blackstone River, is very low.

A bit further up the road were some nice soft trails with great views of the river.


I reached the grassland area and ran easy just enjoying the morning.


At the end of the grasslands is an old stone foundation still in decent shape. At this point I was entering West Hill Park. This is the stomping ground of the Tri-Valley Front Runners and where the Club holds their Summer Trail Series. 



I cut down a side trail just to take a look.


Slowed to enjoy the scenery.


At last, I arrived at my destination.


I was able to enjoy some nice relaxing time running through the woods.  And I was not bothered by any horseflies or mosquitoes.


I headed back toward my car through this root obstacle course. 


And some trails with snacks.


Followed by some rocky road, not the tasty kind.



The loop I ran exited at the far end of the dam. 

I have run in some wonderful places around the country, sometimes forgetting what a great area I live in to run and train. It took a bad morning of work to force me out of my shop. I laughed at myself for not getting out often enough to enjoy the area. And maybe I don't laugh enough.

And this reminded me of a quote from the Three Musketeers...

“I do not often laugh, sir,” answered the unknown. “As you may yourself discover by the expression of my continence. But yet I mean to preserve the right of laughing when I please.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment