Friday, September 9, 2016

52nd Annual Balboa 4-Miler September 3, 2016

Waking early we headed out to San Diego's Balboa Park, home of the San Diego Zoo, Food Truck Friday, and the Footlocker Cross Country National Championships.

Arriving fashionably early, parking was easy, we strolled over to the registration tent for bib pick-up. I had not previewed the course so I warmed up by running an out and back over the final mile. A portion of this included the infamous zig-zag hill. Feeling appropriately warm I headed over to the start area which was a large grassy field.

Greeting a few runners, I have not obtained a San Diego Track Club singlet yet, I received a few strange looks and questions about my Dahlberg-Kourtz Distance Project singlet.

Then after a few instructions from the starter, we were off and running. I clocked a flat mile 1 at 6:25, at the bottom end of Amanda's suggested opening pace. Suddenly there was a 100 foot drop over the next quarter. It would not have been so bad except that it was concrete covered with loose sand and leaves and a hard right turn at the bottom. I somehow survived and was now running on loose sand and dirt parallel to RT 163. Mile 1.9 to 2.0 was a rather arduous, and unexpected, 100 foot climb and my pace dropped to 6:42. And then just before mile 2.5 was a steep 50 foot drop. Then began a looping mild upgrade until mile 3.5, at which point I returned to the top of that aforementioned 100 foot climb. Now it was a 100 foot drop. Good times. After the downhill it was a short flat and sandy run to the start of the zig-zag hill and about a 1/3 of a mile to the finish. I managed to pass a couple of runners on the hill and one on the home stretch. Mile 3 was tough at 6:53 and mile 4 was a humbling 7:14. One runner easily passed me just before the chute. I once again handed over the tear-off portion of my bib. Tough course. I'll do better next year.
 
Our team, SDTC, took the win and the lead in the Dirt Dog Series lead after 2 races.

The gory details:
27th Overall Master Runner
4th in the 50-59 AG
1st in the 55-59 year olds.

AG Bling
JoAnne and I headed out to Old town San Diego for brunch and refreshments.


Refreshments at Fiesta De Reyes

Next stop and the third race of the series...the Bonita Stampede 8k, European Style XC, on September 10.



No comments:

Post a Comment