Thursday, November 3, 2016

Hill Reps and other Musings November 3, 2016

I was working and in the back of my mind was today's workout. I thought maybe I could run the hill on Mendon Road to Daniels Farm. Then I remembered that I did not live in Blackstone anymore. It happens every now and then, even after 10 months of living in California.

I had some hill reps on my schedule and decided to get off the road and on the trail for today's session. I took the short drive up to the Santa Rosa Plateau hoping it might be a bit cooler as the temps were already pushing 80 degrees. It was a clear, completely cloudless day and not a breeze could be felt. Grabbing a bench at the Hidden Valley Trailhead, I  slipped on my spikes and donned my VCM finisher's cap.



Hidden Valley Trail Head

I chose the Los Santos trail for my workout as it had the appropriate ups and was winding, adding a bit of change-up to the session.


Objects in the image are steeper than they appear!
Warmup was a 20 minute in, on, and about the Los Santos Trail. Fortunately I carried plenty of water because it was getting hot and the air felt really dry.

Warming Up

Though there were a several cars in  the parking lot, I was all alone except for some lizards and a tarantula trying to disguise itself as a bunch of grass.

Lone Tarantula

I started the workout feeling pretty good. Fairly early I was pretty much sucking wind, which was the whole point...I suppose.

Running Up
The downs were tough on the quads...especially on the turns.

And down....

From there it was rinse and repeat!

And Up....

The uphill views were well, actually I wasn't that concerned with the view going up; however, the downhill views were pretty good.

Downhill View
 
Finishing up I headed back to the trailhead stopping along the way to get off my feet. Thank you Phil Richardson...wherever you are!
Bench dedication to Phil Richardson



No comments:

Post a Comment