Sunday, August 7, 2016

Wild Duck XC August 20, 2016

I took a month after Boston to relax, work on the new home and pork up a bit. Sometime in May I figured it was time to start running again.  With some help from Steve Vaitones, I transferred my USATF-NE Association membership to the San Diego-Imperial Association.

The depth of running clubs locally is not nearly the same as in NE; however, they have the competitive spirit. I signed with the San Diego Track Club, looking forward to running with the 50+ Team for the Dirt Dog XC Series. There are 8 XC races http://sandiego.usatf.org/Programs/Cross-Country.aspx scattered throughout San Diego County. And...complete all 8 and garner the ever coveted IronDog recognition!

The first race is in Oceanside/Vista on August 20, a 5k that hopefully will shake off some rust. Amanda has put together a schedule that is gently bringing me back into condition. I've taken the opportunity to run most of my training on the trails at the Santa Rosa Plateau. I was a bit worried in July, it was hot here, when the temps were staying above 90 degrees every day. Since then, I have become accustomed to the heat and train through. Long runs are back as well as shorter intervals.

 On the home front...

It has been so hot...that my freshly planted avocado trees were getting burned leaves...had to put up some sun screens.



Meanwhile, since we are in a hot spell and severe drought, we decided to plant Waterwise and low maintenance front yard. Apparently the cactus loves it. Eventually the rest will catch up.


And while still figuring out how to decorate the new house...I'm thinking of having the balusters sandblasted and painted light grey to match the lighting fixtures and making new hand rails from quartersawn oak.


While I miss running in NE I still follow the competition and read the running blogs! And I am looking forward to becoming part of the running community here in Southern California 

No comments:

Post a Comment