Friday, August 28, 2015

Shoe questions that must needs explanation....


I can't find my Hulu password so instead of watching Murdock Mysteries ...

After five or so years of wearing the funny toe shoes, of a manufacturer to remain non-named, I still receive the odd look, the querulous comments, and occasionally reasonable question.

Why do I wear this shoe? Well, I fancy myself as capable of tossing around anecdotal evidence as well as the next guy...but I won't. I would prefer to run without shoes of any type. To be truthful, upon honor and by faith of a gentleman, I have never seen any data driven evidence proving the benefit of one type of shoe over another.

Wear what suits your feet best.

Though doubt of this continues to exist...what shoe one wears while training or racing matters not, unless, of course, you are getting paid to wear a particular brand.

With all modesty, and a bit of tongue in cheek...the Q and A.

Question: Are those comfortable to run in? ( I assumed the real question is "Are your feet comfortable while running in those shoes"?)

Answer: I wanted to reply that it would be senseless to wear shoes that are uncomfortable; however, as is often the case, people do wear shoes that while fashionable are not comfortable. My most reasonable answer is that I have little awareness of my shoes while running.

Question: Do those shoes have any support?

Answer: I don't know what that means.

Question: Ohhh, those are a fun color.

Answer: Not a question but I always agree for some unknown reason.

Question: Do you run faster in those shoes?

Answer: Umm...faster than? I think I am at least partially responsible for making others run faster. Who wants to be outrun by an old guy in funny shoes? That would be akin to being beat by the person in the port-o-potty costume.

Question: You must go through a lot of those shoes.

Answer: Again, a pseudo-question statement that, probably, is a life of shoe question. While I have several pairs in rotation, the oldest pair I have was purchased in March of 2013. How many miles? My workouts are by heart rate and time, except for mile repeats and such, so I don't count miles. All the data is on Garmin, but I suppose more than 40mpw and less than 65mpw year round would be a fair guess. I do not differentiate between shoes for training and shoes for races. I've attached three images to show wear patterns over time.



Question: Do you wear socks with those shoes? Followed by a quick, "well how could get your toes if you wore socks?"

Answer: In the winter I do wear socks that have individual toes.

Question: Do your feet get wet?

Answer: Yes, yes they do. If it's raining, snowing, or if I step in a pool of water.


I realize that many of you would question my credentials and ability to make the earlier statement about the importance of shoe types. You might say "But John who are you to make shoe judgements, you are so slow?" That may be true, but the reasons I am am slow has nothing to do with my shoes. I am slow because...

  1. I don't run enough miles.
  2. I drink too much beer.
  3. I put too much butter on my tortillas.

Speaking of which...I am getting hungry











4 comments:

  1. Nice blog! I liked your article because it was well-authored and informative. I also found your blog very interesting. In fact, I immediately shared your article with my friends and they also impressed with your article. Thank you for sharing this one.

    If you're interested to learn more about second hand shoes of Christian Muller Boex, you can visit this site: http://www.boex.tv/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there. I found your blog by the use of Google even as looking for a similar matter, your web site came up. It seems to be good. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks to come back then.
    casual

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very interesting. thanks for that. we need more sites like this. i commend you on your great content and excellent topic choices.
    khussa in pakistan

    ReplyDelete