Sunday, August 30, 2015

Nagog Seasons 20K Prep

I normally don't talk about my training. Coach Amanda Kourtz writes my plan according to the races on my schedule, doing a decent job of getting me to the start line healthy and somewhat competitive, at least in my age group. I read the plan, do the workouts, and keep the faith.

My summer training has been sporatic, I haven't been formally training since the Bobby Doyle 5 Mile Road Race, and I've been busy. I was unsure of running the 20k and didn't have a plan in place. I jumped in anyway!
 
Figuring that "winging" a 20K was probably not the smartest thing, I threw together a Run Your Best 20k in Three Weeks plan.

I awoke this morning with a split run on my schedule. 80 minute z2 run, followed by a 3 hour rest, followed by an 80 minute z2 run.

After a couple cups of espresso and breakfast I headed out for Run 1. I wanted to have two solid runs so I was sure to eat before and between the runs. If I was further out from the 20k I might skip the between meal to deplete fuel sources forcing my body to run on short reserves. But a 20k is short enough so depletion is not an issue. 

Running north toward Mendon I ran up the 2ish mile long hill passing Daniels Farmstead. The Farmer's Market was preparing to open and there was more traffic than I normally encounter on that road. 

It was a nice cool dry morning and I felt fine but was a little concerned. Last Sunday I ran a 14ish mile progression in the am followed by a 35 minute aerobic run in the evening. Monday was recovery runs. Tuesday a.m. was a hard warmup followed by 2 x 20 minutes at half marathon pace. In the evening was a 4 mile aerobic pace run. The middle of the week were aerobic and recovery runs. Friday was a hard warm-up followed by 5 x 1 mile repeats. Saturday was recovery. 

I was hoping that the 2 x 80 minute workout was not too heavy of a workload for my current fitness.

At 40 minutes, just outside of the Mendon Town Center, I turned and headed toward home. I ran a bit quicker on the way back and finished the last 4 or so minutes on the BMR High School track, with is the Coach Kevin Maloney Track for those of you that went to the Foss Running Camp.

Once home I drank a OJ shake with about 10 grams of protein powder. After a quick shower I had a fried egg, a veggie snausage, and a tortilla smeared with butter. I make my butter from fresh heavy cream and buttermilk cultures. It is so delicious. Then I sat down read a chapter from The Three Musketeers. 

I had a about an hour remaining before my next run so I opened ITunes and put together an Eddie Vedder mix consisting of 10 of his performances with other artists. I was inspired to this after listening to the Eddie Vedder/Natalie Maines version of "Golden State." 

I suited up again and stepped out for Run 2. The first few strides, if I may call them strides, were a bit rough. It was hot with some humidity. I lodged a couple of F-Bombs into my account toward assuring a toasty home in the afterlife. The Farmers Market was now in full swing and there were some tasty looking apples laid out. At the 40 minute turnaround I was about a quarter mile short of the first run. The balance of the run was uneventful, as it should be, and any concerns about the workload were put aside. I finished .39 miles less than Run 1 over the 80 minutes. 

Tomorrow will be some easy recovery, Tuesday will be my last hard workout. It will be an interesting 20k. The elevation chart looked hilly/rolling the whole way. A half marathon with a .7 mile reprieve. 

Considering my current fitness, I will need that .7 mile relief. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment