Monday, April 27, 2015

The USATF Masters 10k Championship April 26, 2015

aka the James Joyce Ramble

Starting and finishing on the grounds of the Endicott Estate in Dedham, MA, the course loops by historical landmarks like Noble and Greenough School, Dedham Square, the Dedham Historical Society, Norfolk Superior Court, and even the Fairbanks House, on the corner of Whiting Avenue and East Street, the oldest wood-framed home still standing in North America, according to town records. http://www.ramble.org/index.cfm?pid=10274

I arrived around 9:30 for bib pickup. It was a clear morning but it appeared that the clouds were rolling in from the east.


After a short warmup and some strides I met up with Frank Ruggerio and Daniel Verrington for the senior team uniform check. After a few more strides I lined up at the back of the rather small field. I didn't hear the start signal, everyone just started running so off I went.


I hit Mile 1 at 6:00 minutes flat, exactly where Coach Amanda "suggested." I felt pretty good considering I hadn't eased up on my marathon training.

Mile 2 6:08
Mile 3 6:16
Mile 4 6:18
Mile 5 6:09
Mile 6 6:08
Mile 0.29 1:43

Finish time 38:40. I am pleased. Last year I ran 39:28 for 5th place in the 55-59 age group.
This year I ran 48 seconds faster for 7th place!

In most local races a 38:40 will get me a podium spot. In the National Masters Race it gets me "also ran" status. Oh well!
Bright side...CMS 50+ Senior Team scored fourth place. We'll get 'em next year

I was greeted at the finish line by Jim Pawlicki, CMS Team Manager. The CMS 40+ Masters Team scored second place.


Overall, I am pleased with my race. So far in 2015 I have set new 55+ personal records in the 10 mile, the 13.1 mile, and the 6.2 mile races. Can't ask for more than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment